Windows Live Messenger is Bullsh*t

I actually like the MSN Messenger... or I used to. The version I had installed very recently started being unresponsive and chewing through 80% of my cpu cycles in task manager making my entire machine run like a sick dog. So I decided to upgrade. I've made this mistake once before. The last time I tried to install Windows Live programs it took me 6 hours. I had to do uninstalls, re-installs, deal with "unknown errors," and figure out why things like "Choice Guard" and the "Visual Stuido Runtime" wouldn't install. The installer is just broken. This time I got to my favorite part "none of your shits installed because we have an unknown error in installing the Visual Studio Runtime" and I just gave up. It is actually bullshit. I'm not going to spend 6 more hours trying to install your program, Microsoft, I shouldn't have spent the first six. I remember years ago when the chairman himself, Bill Gates, wrote a company wide email chastising the lot of you for your piss poor UX. Apparently nothing changes.

The thing that kills me about this is that my machine is a Macbook Pro running Windows 7 x64 with only un-modified version of Microsoft professional development software. I'm not doing anything hinky. There is no reason that a very common setup should have these types of problems. You can't try to win back users who are departing for the green pastures of "it just fucking works" Apple land by releasing apple clone programs that your most technically savvy users can't install, let alone Grandma or Mom.

Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm done. The job after this one I won't use your products and one day in the glorious future I'll be able to stay safely cocooned in warm embracing arms of Ubuntu or Mac OS X.

Comments

Richard said…
If you were really upset you would call in an air strike. Bomb them back to the DOS days.