Back it up.

I finally took the advice from Scott Hanselman and set up my Rule of 3 backup scheme at home (http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheComputerBackupRuleOfThree.aspx).

Here's the setup:

Right now the Diskstation backs photos, videos, and music up to Amazon S3 once a week and to the Thermaltake BlacX nightly. I will be rotating the hard drives from the BlacX to work weekly so that one of them is out of the house.

My next step is going to be making sure that these things are being backed up in a meaningful way automatically from our computers. I'm thinking about setting up the Diskstation dropbox-like functionality on our computers so that we each have a folder that is automatically duplicated that just gets sucked up in this nightly/weekly backup.  Then it is just a matter of moving the iPhoto library on my computer and the photos and documents directory from Kindra's computer into that synced folder.

It already feels much better knowing that our pictures of our rapidly growing up 1 year old are pretty much safe.

Comments