Getting re-excited about Coder Dojo

My new employer has a very generous volunteer time off policy, and it is close to my son's school. A coworker runs a Coder Dojo there every Thursday. The group has been primarily using Google's CS First which leans heavily on Scratch. It's a good start, but there isn't really a clear next step. I've spent the past couple of days talking to another mentor and looking into different ways we can get the kids into different technologies that might take them farther.

I wrote a quick (very bad) site with a letter to parents summarizing what I've learned, but basically it's this: Get the kids a Github account, which can be used to login to tools like Glitch.com and CodeAnywhere.  Code Anywhere is especially compelling.  The Github pages page I built for the parent site is built using Ember JS, entirely on Code Anywhere. The best part is that these resources are all free for the amount and type of access that I think a typical Coder Dojo participant will need.

Here's the quick and dirty letter to parents: https://cfi-2-coder-dojo.github.io/parents

Comments